Homemade cinnamon buns are delicious, but can be kind of annoying to make. The mess, the rolling, the rising, the time...you have to spend hours prepping the night before just to satisfy your breakfast craving. Instead, you should just make these scrumptious muffins; less work, less time, same taste!
These might just be my most favorite muffin in the entire world. The layers of buttery cinnamon sugar goodness definitely make it a top 3 contender.
1 stick butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup of packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups flour
1 1/1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
4 tablespoons softened butter
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat oven to 350. Prepare muffin tin with liners or grease.
2. Cream butter and brown sugar together; beat in the eggs and vanilla.
3. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in separate bowl.
4. Add about half the dry ingredients to the butter sugar mixture, then stir in the sour cream. Add the rest of the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened. The batter should be thick and lumpy.
5. Distribute the batter into the muffin pan filling about 2/3 of the way full. (this recipe makes 1 dozen) For the cinnamon topping: use a fork and mash together the butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and salt. Sprinkle on top of each muffin before baking.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in the pan for five minutes before removing.
If you want to get the full "this tastes exactly like a cinnamon bun" experience, you'll need to make a quick glaze. Mix a little bit of water into a lot of powder sugar until it's a honey consistency. Drizzle on the top of each muffin with a spoon. and enjoy!
Brunch season is upon us, (I'm talking to you Easter, Mother's, and Father's day!) Save this recipe and use it, you'll be glad you did.